One of the only ways to pay down debt and live a debt free life when your budget is already at its bare bones is to earn extra income. If you’ve got your budget down and still have little leftover for debt payoff, then you need to increase your income. A great way to do that is with a side hustle like blogging!
Blogging serves multiple purposes. It can be an outlet for something that you’re passionate about. It can be an extra source of income. Or it could ultimately be a way for you to quit your job and stay home with your kids. Whether you want to start a mom blog, like me, or blog about something completely different, there’s a few essentials to getting started.
If your wondering how you can get into blogging, keep reading and follow my blogging series.
Side Hustle Steps
Choose a Topic
- This step should be the simplest. You want to choose a topic you will be passionate about. Without passion you will have nothing to keep you going. You’ll run out of ideas and you’ll burn out quickly.
- Another word for topic is niche. A niche is usually a very specific subset of your topic. For example I blog about being a mom but a niche of that is pregnancy. You can check out all of my pregnancy articles here.
- Some people will tell you to choose a “profitable” topic since the point is for this to be a side hustle. However, I believe you can make just about any niche a profitable side hustle if you promote it properly.
Pick a Name
- This, to me, is the toughest step of all. You’ll want something unique. Uniqueness makes it easy to get the same name across all platforms. However, stray away from being too crafty with spelling. Someone may remember your name but be spelling the correct way, instead of your way. For example, if I was Momee Hustle Prho you might not be able to find me or remember so easily. So be careful with spelling.
Park a Domain
- If you already know what it is that you want to blog about and you have an awesome name picked out, park it! Don’t just park your website, but your usernames too. You’ll want to make sure everywhere you promote your blog, everyone knows it’s you.
- This link will help you check and see if your domain is available
Host a Website
- By signing up for Bluehost you can combine steps 3 and 4 into one. With the link below, a domain is included for free with your purchase of a hosting plan.
- If you’re serious about blogging but not much into code, much less any other special computer whiz knowledge, this is a great platform that offers 24 hour support (believe me I’ve used it at all hours of the night)
- This is also a platform that goes hand and hand with WordPress . org which is what I, and most other bloggers, use.
- I recommend signing up for the shorter term if you don’t have much of a budget, like me, but the longer you sign up the better the deal. If you can afford and you’re really committed to making this side hustle work, the longer the term the better!
Serious about your side hustle? Which step are you at currently? What hosting platform did you decide to use? Leave comments below.
Disclaimer: We are a professional site that receives compensation from the companies whose products we recommend. We test each product thoroughly and recommend only the very best. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own.